North Carolina Injury Prevention Research Center
The Southeastern Regional Injury Control Network
The Southeastern Regional Injury Control Network is a regional organization
whose volunteer membership draws from eight southeastern states (Alabama,
Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina
and Tennessee), The Injury Control Research Center University of Alabama
at Birmingham, The Injury Prevention Research Center, University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, The Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center,
the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Maternal and Child Health
Bureau, The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, and
other national organizations.
The Southeastern Regional Injury Control Network is dedicated to developing
a coordinated, effective approach to unintentional and intentional injury
control in the southeastern states.
To reduce unintentional and intentional injuries by fostering interagency
collaboration and communication among the network members.
- To support each state's initiatives to establish and implement
a statewide injury control plan that works toward achieving Healthy People
- To provide training sessions and information exchange opportunities
for professionals within the region.
- To participate in skill-building workshops.
- To gain a greater understanding of the practice and research of injury
control within each state.
- To examine state and regional data on injuries and provide a report
to each state for program planning, implementation, evaluation, policy,
and other injury control initiatives.
- To facilitate the development of self-sufficient statewide and interstate
injury control programs and projects throughout the southeast region.
The membership conducts quarterly meetings to share and develop program
and intervention strategies, train injury personnel, develop and use injury
surveillance systems, disseminate injury information, and promote awareness
of the injury problem in the Southeast region.
Selected Network Activities 1991-1995
- Collaboration with the University of North Carolina Injury Prevention
Research Center on the Southeastern Child Care Safety Project.
- Collaboration with the University of Alabama at Birmingham Injury
Control Research Center on the Southeastern Comprehensive Head Injury Center
Prevention Education Program.
- Inventory of Southeastern state motor vehicle laws.
- Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games injury surveillance project.
- Presentation and exhibit at the Southeastern Regional Maternal and
Child Health Conference.
- Worked in a public/private partnership which raised over $200,000
for child safety seats that were distributed across the Southeast to low
List of Contacts for Southeastern Regional Injury Control Network
Alabama Department of Public Health
Florida Injury Control Program
Florida Department of health and Rehabilitative Services
Injury Control Section
Georgia Department of Human Resources
Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center
University of Kentucky
Mississippi State Department of Health
Injury Control Section
North Carolina Department of Environment, Health
and Natural Resources
Office of Injury and Disability Prevention
South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
Injury Control Program
Tennessee Department of Health
Other Agency Contacts
Injury Prevention Research Center
University of North Carolina
Injury Control Research Center
University of Alabama at Birmingham
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration